Sunday, July 18, 2010

I-Spy Quilt Top

I started my FIRST QUILT EVER a few days go.  I just finished the top!  Here it is:

It isn't perfect, but I  LOVE it and think my son will, too.
I used ivory for the sashing & black for the little squares mainly because I had them on hand.  The back will be large blocks of solid fabric with prints sprinkled in (I think).  Aside from the I-Spy squares, I'm trying to only use fabric I have at home instead of buying more.

Next up - creating the back.  I'm very nervous about the quilting part.  I had originally decided to do free-motion quilting (not knowing how tough it would be for me).  I think now I will do straight line quilting.  I know it will be boring, but easier.  And this is, after all, my first quilt.

For any quilters out there, do you have any tips for me?



P.S.  A big thank you to Care over at Obsessively Stitching.  Without all of the great help on her blog, I'm not sure I would have been courageous enough to make a quilt.

1 comments:

soggybottomflats said...

Wow, your first one? You can really pat yourself on the back on that one, super job! I used to hand quilt all of mine, but now with a gillion grand kids...nah! I recently helped my sister with her first quilt, she is now a convert. I had her look at several blogs on quilts and choose her own backing. She chose a single piece, then decided to slice a piece out and insert a line of blocks, looks really cute. Check out: crazymomquilts, bumblebeans inc., filminthefridge, quiltdad, and even google pieced quilt backs in the blogger section. Lots of inspiration. I encouraged my sister to quilt it anyway she wanted. She wanted to learn everything, lol, so she started out with straight line stitching. Good job, beautiful quilt, Elaine