Monday, January 17, 2011

WIP: Giraffe Garden Baby Quilt

I'm really excited about my current WIP (work in progress) and thought I would share - a baby quilt (pattern HERE) for our baby due in a few months.



The quilt top is nearly complete (I just need to add the white border).  The main print used is Michael Miller's Giraffe Garden in grey.  I saw this fabric months ago & just couldn't make up mind it if was a print I truly loved.  Plus, I wasn't sure if I wanted to make a neutral quilt for the baby now or wait until we find out gender at birth & then make a quilt.  I finally decided to buy the fabric only to realize it was no longer available at Fabricworm... or most other online shops.  Luckily I was able to find just enough of it on Etsy to make this quilt!  And despite the colors being a little out of my comfort zone (which actually look better in real life than they do in these photos), I really love how this quilt is turning out!


The accent fabrics are all prints I found locally.  I will be using cotton batting & backing the quilt with Michael Miller's Huevos in gray (once it arrives in the mail).  I also plan to use the scrap accent fabric to make my own bias binding.

As for the quilting... I'm not 100% sure what I will do yet for this.  I think just straight line quilting in a grid following the boxes, sashing & borders (like HERE) or going diagonal through the squares (like HERE) would look nice.  I also love the look of free motion (like HERE), but have yet to try it.  What do you think would look best?

1 comments:

Kasey said...

Looking good!!! I like the straight line quilting (or whatever it's called) because it's a little less distracting. You don't want to lose the cool pattern on your fabrics. :) Just my thoughts, though, and what do I know about quilting? Nothing.